With the value of the dollar being so low in Europe and the overwhelming amount of hotels and apartments to choose from, I thought I would provide a few websites that are good resources for selecting budget accommodations in Europe. And no, there aren’t any hostels in the bunch.
6. MonasteryStays.com and Goodnightandgodbless.com are two great sites that offer monasterys or convents at very reasonable prices. You don’t normally need to practice a religion to stay and most offer clean, comfortable lodging, with quite a few amenities, including breakfast in some cases. Many have curfews, so make sure you read the fine print.
5. Venere.com. This site offers hotels, B&B’s and apartments from bare bones to luxury. I like it because you can narrow your search by price, location and number of stars. The pictures are great, the guest reviews are plentiful and you can book on-line!
4. Eurocheapo.com. The name says it all here. These are budget hotels that are recommended by the editors, who show up unannounced to get a feel for the place. They only list the ones they like. Covers most major cities in Europe.
3. AirBnB.com This site is new, but growing by leaps and bounds. Here you will find either just a room for rent in someone’s home or entire properties like apartments. I like it for the later. The selection and prices are great, but don’t expect many services. In some cases you may be sharing a small room with a stranger or sleeping on a pull out couch. If you’re diligent, some great options can be found here.
2. VRBO.com. Or Vacation Rentals by Owner. This is a reputable place to find an apartment or home for your stay. Here you deal directly with the owner of the vacation property, which can be a huge advantage, especially if you get a helpful owner that will share some secrets about the neighborhood. You can find accommodation from a small studio to a six bedroom villa and see great photos and availability on each property.
1. Homeaway.co.uk This is a great site, especially if you might be looking for a villa to share, which can reduce your costs considerably. The site is extremely user-friendly and visually pleasing to the eye. You can perform a search for budget apartments and then narrow it down by area. I found almost 3,000 budget apartments listed in Europe alone, so you’re bound to find something in your price range.
Need a hotel or B&B recommendation? Click here to find out about my quick consult service.