It’s no secret that Italy and France are home to some of the most beautiful seaside destinations on the Mediterranean. Cinque Terre, Positano or any of these seaside locations on the French Riviera – just to name a few.
Hopefully, you’ll be spending some time relaxing, instead of pounding the cobblestones and ticking off must-see activites from your list. And that requires a bit different packing strategy.
I thought it would be a great opportunity for the Carry-On Queen to share a few things to pack for a warm weather seaside destination, assuming you’ll be traveling in the summer months.
Whether you plan to stay on the coast for a week or maybe just visit for a day – here are some essentials I recommend you bring.
10 Things to Pack for Your Italy or France Seaside Vacation:
1. Sunscreen. Obvious, yet many still don’t take good care in this department. Don’t forget it! I am fair, so I bring an SPF 50. Apply it often, and especially after swimming. And make sure to get the little nooks and crannies-behind the ears and knees and between the toes.
2. Hat and Sunglasses. Both go a long way to shading your eyes from the bright sun, but the hat (the wider the brim, the better!) I use to protect my scalp from sunburn.
3. Camera. Azure water, palm trees, picturesque coastline and spectacular sunsets. A perfect recipe for stunning photo memories that must be captured.
4. Sundress. Every gal of any age should pack at least one lightweight sundress. Short or maxi length. Dress it up or down. Throw on a cardigan when it gets chilly. You can’t go wrong. Bring one.
5. Scarf/Pareo. You know I love items that do double-duty. Take a scarf or pareo – use it as a blanket on the plane, an accessory for an outfit and as a sarong with your bathing suit.
6. Book(s). Part of a beach vacay should be lying around relaxing. And catching up on your reading. Bring a few juicy books along to enjoy while lounging on your beach chair in the surf, while the warm sea water laps over your toes. Or if you’re a techie, bring your e-reader.
7. iPod. If reading isn’t your thing – and you just don’t want to listen to the sound of the ocean, load your iPod with your favorite playlists, close your eyes and enjoy your favorite tunes while lounging. This can also drown out a screaming child on your flight.
8. Swimsuit cover-up. Remember that less-than-perfect bikini body I spoke of? I really do love lounging around on the beach, but not necessarily traipsing around in just my bathing suit. I throw on a cute cover-up that makes me feel more comfortable and stylish roaming around or going to the bar for cocktails.
9. Beach bag. You’ll need something cute and functional to tote all your goodies around while trekking back and forth from your room to the beach. If you do your homework – you can find a beach bag that will double as your ‘personal item’ for the plane.
10. Flip-flops. Might as well take advantage of the hot weather and casual vibe. I bring two pairs – a flat pair with arch-support and a pair of thick, squishy ones for the extra aaaaahhhh-factor.
What did I miss? What do you pack on a beach vacay?