Paris is for lovers and Venice owns that magical vibe, but don’t discount Rome for a little romance. And with Valentine’s Day fast approaching, I can’t think of a better time to visit the Eternal City, especially since it isn’t the height of the tourist season.
If you are lucky enough to be traveling to Rome, or can book a last-minute getaway, this Travel Tip Tuesday I am sharing a few ideas for you and your sweetheart.
1. Though the Tiber can’t compete with the picturesque Seine, there are still many good reasons to walk hand in hand, day or evening, along the banks of the river. Visit one of the prettiest bridges, the Ponte Sant’Angelo, which is flanked with angels along its stone railings. For quieter and more secluded spots, try the Isola Tiberina and Ponte Rotta or broken bridge. Normally, I’d suggest an evening boat tour, but apparently, they are currently not running.
2. Sharing a sunset with the one you love is something that never gets old. And Rome has some spectacular spots from which to view them. Three favorites are Gianicolo Hill, Castle Saint-Angelo and Pincio.
3. An evening of fine-dining, enjoying some of the best local Roman food and wine in a charming atmosphere always holds a special place in my heart. For an over-the-top splurge try the only three-star Michelin restaurant in Rome, La Pergola. For something a little less expensive, try the one-starred Il Convivio.
4. Paying a visit to the larger than life ancient sites, all lit up at night, is a must. Wander around after dark to see the Colosseum, the Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon all glowing warmly from within. Smooching is highly encouraged!
5. Ahhhh the spa! If you get caught in the rain, rather than head for a museum, why not relax in a Roman spa? Try the AcquaMadre hammam, which offers a Turkish hammam and other spa and massage treatments. Just make sure you visit on days when they allow both men and women in together. Otherwise, what’s the point?
6. What lady doesn’t love shopping? And the opportunity to shop in Rome would earn any man who suggested it brownie points! But ladies, even if you do the suggesting, he’s in good graces if he just agrees, right? Stroll the fashionable shopping street via Condotti to peruse the big designer boutiques like Armani, Gucci, Valentino and more. And since we’re looking for romance here, I’d suggest a stop at La Perla for some sexy lingerie!
How would you add a little romance to your Rome visit?
Check out Cherrye’s travel tips today!
Heading to Rome? Click here to see how I can help plan your visit!