I like to proclaim myself the Queen of the Carry-On. But that didn’t happen overnight. I am a reformed over-packer. I used to drag every beauty product known to man with me on the plane….just in case.
EIGHT LIQUID BEAUTY PRODUCTS TO DITCH FROM YOUR CARRY-ON BAG
1. Liquid Foundation. Yes, I know, God forbid perfect strangers in another country should see you with your uneven skin-tone. Oh, the horror!! We wouldn’t want to blind anyone! If you must, choose a mineral foundation that you apply with a brush. Many have built in SPF, so you’ll have sun protection too!
2. Shower Gel. I know some ladies have a shower ritual that I am messing with here- complete with body poof and all, but just get back to basics and pack the old-fashioned bar soap and leave the shower gel behind. You can resume all shower rituals when you get home sweet home.
3. Shaving Cream. Who even uses this stuff anymore? Seriously-leave that bulky pink spray can behind! Hair conditioner makes a perfect double-duty shave cream and chances are you have packed that already. In a pinch- see #2-as the bar soap can also be used.
4. Lip Gloss. Look, I am a big fan-especiallly of the super-duper-über-plumper kind, but gloss is considered a liquid. Stick with solids that offer color and moisture. Lipsticks, lip balms and lip crayons allow you to take many of your favorites- so you can mix and match with all your outfits. Yeah, like I have time for that.
5. Facial Cleanser. So important for taking travel grime off your face and cleaning pollutants from your pores. But did you know that you can get some great cleansers in solid or powder form? One of my personal favs is DCH Pure Soap or any bar from Lush. Dermalogica makes a really nice rice powder cleanser that is also an exfoliator.
6. Liquid Make-up Remover. Lord knows many cleansers won’t touch the three coats of mascara you donned for your Big. Nite. Out. So you need some extra help when you come rolling in at 3am. Rather than bring your bottle of remover- opt for a pack of eye cleansing cloths or makeup remover swabs. Neutrogena or Simple Skincare are good brands to try.
7. Sunscreen. Sun protection is so important, especially if you’ll be outside alot, hanging at the beach, or enjoying outdoor adventures. Take it along, but leave the Banana Boat bottle home and instead take individual sunscreen wipes or try a solid sunblock stick. Or better yet – just purchase a bottle when you arrive.
8. Perfume. Besides the fact that you wouldn’t want your $75 glass bottle of eau-de-chi-chi to shatter in your bag- those bottles take up way too much precious room in that little quart-sized bag. Opt for a perfume solid, from brands like Tocca or Philopsophy. Or stick with a bar soap with a fresh scent. Clean smells good too.
Need more help converting to carry-on only travel? Here’s how I can help.