By the time you read this, I’ll be on a plane heading to Cancun, Mexico. Or, that’s the plan anyway. And can I just say, that since the Northeast has been pounded by awful weather recently, this trip comes not a moment too soon!
Myself and four other travel bloggers, are being hosted for three nights on a press trip courtesy of Royal Holiday Resorts. We’ll be staying at the Cancun Caribe Park Royal Grand. I’m excited, because I have never been to Cancun, or Mexico for that matter, so it’s a new travel destination that I get to explore. And if I can be honest, I’m also elated that I’m not visiting during Sping Break, with thousands of raucous, half-naked college students. THAT wouldn’t interest me at all. My version of ‘Girls Gone Wild’ will likely be a few drinks at the hotel’s swim-up pool bar.
I am sure there’s more to Cancun than what you hear about on Spring Break. I’m so glad I get to find out first hand what this vibrant Mexican destination has to offer.
Some things I am most looking forward to:
- Warm temps about 85 degrees.
- NOT seeing snow outside my window.
- Using my lap-top inflight with GoGo Internet.
- Learning some Spanish.
- Squishing my toes into the white powdery sand on the beach.
- Eating some authentic Mexican and Yucatanian food. Fish tacos, ceviche, maybe even cochinita pibil.
- Margaritas anyone?!
- Straying away from the touristy ‘Hotel Zone’ and exploring some of the local culture in downtown Cancun.
- Perhaps a bit of relaxing on a lounge chair.
- Mojitos anyone?!
- Visiting some Mayan ruins.
- Lovely sunrises.
- Making some new friends with the bloggers on the trip I have yet to meet and hopefully some locals too!
Press trip itineraries are often packed pretty tight. Most of my time will be accounted for and is planned in advance, but with any luck, I’ll have a little bit of time to explore on my own. Where I actually get to go remains to be seen. But that can be fun too!
If technology allows, I’ll be updating you on the blog as much as I can and also Tweeting about the trip. I hope to include a few photos along the way.
Please allow me to introduce you to the other folks going.
- Andy Hayes of Sharing Travel Experiences | @andrewghayes on Twitter
- Candace Walsh of Candace Does the World | @candacewalsh on Twitter
- Monica Wong of A Pair of Panties and Boxers | @monica530 on Twitter
- Jill Hanner of xgobobeanx on You Tube | @jillhanner on Twitter
Have you ever been to Cancun? What did you like best? And least?
Photo Credit : Mike Fleming